With the release of the latest TTerm update to the App Store we've added a handy new import and export feature to our terminal emulator for iPad. For users who own or manage more than one iPad the ability to import and export TTerm's saved connection settings helps you to easily share and deploy configurations across multiple devices. The import/export feature takes all your settings including host details, hotspots, color schemes, keyboard settings and (optionally) SSH certificates and makes them available as a file for use with iTunes file sharing.
Import is also available if you upgrade or purchase a different TTerm app and need to copy your old configurations across, provided the emulations selected are available in both Apps.
For example a configuration that specifies a DEC VT220 in TTerm can be safely imported into TTerm Pro , but a configuration that specifies an IBM 3270 in TTerm Pro cannot be imported into TTerm. For more information on the emulations supported in each version of TTerm click here.
Here's a step by step guide to sharing saved configurations between devices. First, you'll need to export an existing configuration.
- Open TTerm and navigate to the Connections screen.
- Tap the saved connection item you wish to export. A menu bar will be displayed with the options Edit Settings, Duplicate and Export. Tap Export. At this point, if your saved connection incorporates an SSH key you will be prompted to include or exclude this from the export. Please consider your personal or corporate security policies before including an SSH key for export.
- TTerm will now place a copy of your saved configuration on your iPad where it can accessed through iTunes. Repeat step 2 for each saved connection you wish to export.
- Connect your iPad to your computer.
- In iTunes select your device and open the Apps tab, scroll down to File Sharing and select TTerm from the list of Apps.
- Browse to your saved connection file and click the Save to... button. The file name is [your connection name].ttexp. Your saved connection file is now saved to your computer.
Now that you have exported one or more saved connections to your computer through iTunes you can share them with one or more iPads through iTunes. Follow these steps:
- Connect the target iPad to your computer and open iTunes.
- In iTunes select your device and open the Apps tab, scroll down to File Sharing and Select TTerm from the list of Apps.
- Click the Add.. button and browse to the .ttexp file you previously exported.
- Click Open. The saved connection will now be copied to your device.
- If you wish to import more than one saved connection configuration, repeat steps 3 and 4 for each .ttexp file.
- On your iPad, launch TTerm and browse to the Connections screen.
- At the top right of screen you will see an Import button. Tap this and TTerm will import all the saved connections you added to the device to your list of Saved Connections. Once the import is complete, the Import button will no longer be available.